Marble Goods (Dairiseki Seihin)

Shunpei Honma, nicknamed the “Saint of Akiyoshi”, laid the foundation for domestic marble production. This marble is even used in the National Diet building

Production Area

Mine City, Yamaguchi Prefecture

Historical Details and Geographic Characteristics

Marble from the Akiyoshi district, Shuhocho, Mine City, is said to have been discovered in the early Meiji period by a well-known geological engineer and painter. In 1879, Junpachi Kasai, the founder of Onoda Cement, mined the marble and exhibited it at the National Industrial Exhibition in 1881, attracting attention to its industrial use

Marble mining and processing began in earnest in the early 20th century when Shunpei Honma established the Nagato Marble Mine in the Akiyoshi district. As an active social entrepreneur, Honma employed juvenile delinquents and ex-prisoners and helped in their reintegration to society. Also known as the “Saint of Akiyoshi,” he is honored for his achievements in laying the foundation for the marble industry. Under his influence, ten different types of marble from Mine were used in the National Diet building, which was finalized in 1936.

As a modern style of architecture increased in popularity from the second half of the Taisho period, demand for marble also rose, leading to a surge in mining activities. The marble industry then became one of the major industries in Yamaguchi Prefecture. Marble goods have stayed popular since then, and even now, new marble products are being developed, such as the 300-million-year-old stone project of the Yamaguchi Prefecture Marble and Onyx Association.






Main Retailer/Exhibition Facility

Marble Processing Exhibition Hall

Address 3441-1 Akiyoshi, Shuhocho, Mine City, Yamaguchi Prefecture
Phone 0837-62-0305 (Mine City Tourism Association – General Affairs)
Hours of Operation 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Admission Fee Free


Related articles

  1. Akama Inkstone (Akama Suzuri)

  2. Izumo Stone Lanterns (Izumo Ishidoro)

  3. Hagi Ware (Hagi Yaki)